Le Câtel de Rozel, Jersey: The Excavations of 1988–90

1992 ◽  
Vol 72 ◽  
pp. 18-53 ◽  
Author(s):  
Barry Cunliffe

The site of Le Câtel lies in the parish of Trinity in the north-east corner of Jersey, close to the village and harbour of Rozel (figs. 1 and 2). The defensive characteristics of the promontory are best appreciated from the contour plan (fig. 3). The archaeological site is located at the end of a long narrow plateau bounded on the north and east by cliffs plunging steeply to the sea and on the south by a deep valley cut by a stream flowing into Rozel bay. A subsidiary valley bites deeply into the south flank of the promontory leaving only a narrow neck of land, some 200m across, between its head and the sea cliffs on the north. This approach is barred by a massive earthwork which gives the site its name—Le Câtel.

1945 ◽  
Vol 82 (6) ◽  
pp. 267-273 ◽  
Author(s):  
W. Anderson

Formerly there were several surface brine springs in the North-East Coalfield; to-day there are none. From the many accounts of their occurrence nothing has been learned of their exact position, and very little of the composition of their waters. The earliest record, made in 1684, described the Butterby spring (Todd, 1684), and then at various times during the next two centuries brine springs at Framwellgate, Lumley, Birtley, Walker, Wallsend, Hebburn, and Jarrow were noted. In particular the Birtley salt spring is often mentioned, and on the 6-in. Ordnance map, Durham No. 13, 1862 edition, it is sited to the south-east of the village. Although no record has been found there must have been either a brine spring or well at Gateshead, for the name of the present-day suburb, Saltwell, is very old, and brine springs are still active in the coal workings of that area.


1917 ◽  
Vol 7 ◽  
pp. 98-119 ◽  
Author(s):  
M. V. Taylor

Woodeaton is a small Oxfordshire parish, four miles north-east of the centre of Oxford city and a little west of the wide marshy level of the ‘Plain of Otmoor.’ It stands on a low, detached and rounded hill, 315 feet above sea level, and 120 feet above Otmoor. In old days it must have been difficult of access, for Otmoor spreads away to the east of it; low pastures along the river Cherwell close it in on the north and west, while south-westwards, too, the land is low-lying and marshy. Even to the south-east a marshy hollow separates it from the wooded slopes of Beckley and Elsfield, once part of Shotover Forest. However, the well-known Roman road which connects Dorchester (Oxon.) with Alchester, and which passes along the foot of Shotover, and traverses the village of Beckley and the plain of Otmoor, runs within two miles of Woodeaton; in dry seasons it may have helped those who wished to get to the spot.


1898 ◽  
Vol 4 ◽  
pp. 95-100
Author(s):  
Duncan Mackenzie

From the modern town of Kos, on the site of the ancient capital at the north-east extremity of the island, to the village of Kephalos at the southwest end is a ride of eight hours.The village stands on a chalky plateau which beyond the isthmus marks the beginning of the mountain district of south-west Kos. This in turn is a repetition on a smaller scale of the mountain region, at the other end of the island, which forms the lofty termination to the long central tableland. The highest points of the mountain district are towards the south-east where the fall to the sea is very rapid. The highest neighbouring peak, Mount Ziní, is about an hour distant from the village in a south-easterly direction, while all that lies to the north-west of the main range is high pastoral country with many torrent beds.


1946 ◽  
Vol 26 (3-4) ◽  
pp. 138-144
Author(s):  
Audrey Williams

A small moated site in Scales Park near the village of Nuthampstead, Hertfordshire (fig. 1), has lately been examined by the Ancient Monuments Department of the Ministry of Works. It lies just within the Hertfordshire-Essex boundary, four miles north-east of Buntingford and eight miles north-west of Bishop's Stortford. On the O.S. 6-in. sheet (Herts. 9 NE.) it is marked as The Warren, but not as an antiquity; nor is it included among the 139 homestead moats recorded for the county by the Royal Commission.Scales Park comprises something over 400 acres of well-grown woodland on the plateau which forms the watershed of the rivers Stort and Quin, both flowing south to join eventually the Thames. Its height above sea-level is 450 ft. on the northwest, declining gently to 400 ft. on the east and south. Geologically the area consists of chalky clay over the chalk.The moat of the Warren, enclosing an approximately square island about a quarter of an acre in size, varied in width from 10 to 25 ft. and at the time of excavation was filled with black boggy silt. Round its outer edge ran a low much-spread bank, 20 to 30 ft. wide but not more than 2 ft. high. The enclosure presented a puzzling combination of mounds and hollows. A large mound, 9 ft. 6 in. high, on a raised platform occupied the north-eastern half. The south-western half had centrally a similar platform, 5 ft. above the surface of the moat, with flanking mounds, 6 and 7 ft. high, at the corners (pl. xxiv b). The cavities between the mounds were practically level with the moat; slight ridges barred the western hollow and the south end of the eastern hollow.


Archaeologia ◽  
1867 ◽  
Vol 40 (2) ◽  
pp. 361-374
Author(s):  
Thomas Lewin

The Portus Lemanis must clearly have been one of the great thoroughfares between Britain and the Continent, and it is not a little singular that the position of a port once so famous should never have been satisfactorily settled. The common impression is that it lay at the foot of Lymne Hill. For the benefit of those who are not familiar with this neighbourhood, I should mention, in limine, that the village of Lymne or Lympne stands about 2½ miles to the west of Hythe, on the highest part of the cliff which girds in the eastern portion of Romney Marsh. On the declivity of the hill, about half-way down, is seen the old Roman castrum, called Stuttfall, occupying 10 or 12 acres. There are walls on the north, east, and west, and the east and west walls run down to the marsh itself; but, what is remarkable, the south side towards the marsh had never any wall,” and hence the erroneous notion so generally prevalent that at the foot of the castrum was once the Portus Lemanis, and that in the course of ages the sea retired from Lymne, when the port shifted to West Hythe, and that the sea again retired, when the port was transferred to Hythe. I shall endeavour to show that these changes, if they ever occurred, must have preceded the historic period, and that in the time of the Romans, as for many centuries afterwards, the only port was Hythe. In fact Portus and Hythe are the same thing, Portus in Latin being Hyð in Saxon.


1862 ◽  
Vol 152 ◽  
pp. 1019-1038 ◽  

The little town or village of Bovey Tracey, in Devonshire, nestles at the foot of Dartmoor, very near its north-eastern extremity; it is situated on the left bank of the river Bovey, about two miles and a half above the point at which it falls into the Teign, and is about eleven miles from each of the towns Exeter, Torquay, and Totnes*,—bearing south-westerly from the first, north-westerly from the second, and northerly from the last. A considerable plain stretches away from it in a south-easterly direction, having a length of six miles from a point about a mile west of Bovey to another nearly as far east of Newton; its greatest breadth, from Chudleigh Bridge on the north-east to Blackpool on the south-west, is four miles. It forms a lake-like expansion of the valleys of the Teign and Bovey rivers, especially the latter, whose course it may be said to follow in the higher part, where it is most fully developed; whilst the Teign constitutes its axis below the junction of the two streams. Its upper, or north-western portion, immediately adjacent to the village, is known as “Bovey Heathfield,” and measures about 700 acres.


1954 ◽  
Vol 34 (3-4) ◽  
pp. 218-224
Author(s):  
Brian Bunch ◽  
Philip Corder

The village of Weston Favell is situated on high land to the north of the river Nene, some 2½ miles to the north-east of the centre of Northampton. On the north side of the Wellingborough Road at this point the Northampton Education Committee are erecting the Cherry Orchard School. In April 1953, during the filling in of a disused quarry preparatory to building, one of the writers noticed sherds of Roman pottery in a disturbed patch in the quarry face (Nat. Grid 5237.2819). Further examination disclosed two large burnt stones protruding from it, which proved on excavation to be the cheeks of the stokehole flue of a small pottery kiln.The quarry was some 16 to 18 ft. deep, and had been used to get the local limestone. The field to the south of it shows disturbance of the surface over a considerable area. Overlying the stone hereabouts is an extensive layer of grey clay, which may well have served as the raw material of the potters. It contains pockets of whitish sand similar to that which gives the clay of the local ware its characteristic texture.


Author(s):  
Feiko Kalsbeek ◽  
Lilian Skjernaa

NOTE: This article was published in a former series of GEUS Bulletin. Please use the original series name when citing this article, for example: Kalsbeek, F., & Skjernaa, L. (1999). The Archaean Atâ intrusive complex (Atâ tonalite), north-east Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Geology of Greenland Survey Bulletin, 181, 103-112. https://doi.org/10.34194/ggub.v181.5118 _______________ The 2800 Ma Atâ intrusive complex (elsewhere referred to as ‘Atâ granite’ or ‘Atâ tonalite’), which occupies an area of c. 400 km2 in the area north-east of Disko Bugt, was emplaced into grey migmatitic gneisses and supracrustal rocks. At its southern border the Atâ complex is cut by younger granites. The complex is divided by a belt of supracrustal rocks into a western, mainly tonalitic part, and an eastern part consisting mainly of granodiorite and trondhjemite. The ‘eastern complex’ is a classical pluton. It is little deformed in its central part, displaying well-preserved igneous layering and local orbicular textures. Near its intrusive contact with the overlying supracrustal rocks the rocks become foliated, with foliation parallel to the contact. The Atâ intrusive complex has escaped much of the later Archaean and early Proterozoic deformation and metamorphism that characterises the gneisses to the north and to the south; it belongs to the best-preserved Archaean tonalite-trondhjemite-granodiorite intrusions in Greenland.


1932 ◽  
Vol 69 (5) ◽  
pp. 209-233 ◽  
Author(s):  
G. D. Osborne

THE Carlingford-Barnave district falls within the boundaries of Sheet 71 of the Ordnance Survey of Ireland, and forms part of a broad promontory lying between Carlingford Lough on the north-east and Dundalk Bay on the south-west. The greater part of this promontory is made up of an igneous complex of Tertiary age which has invaded the Silurian slates and quartzites and the Carboniferous Limestone Series. This complex has not yet been investigated in detail, but for the purposes of the present paper certain references to it are necessary, and these are made below. The prevalence of hybrid-relations and contamination-effects between the basic and acid igneous rocks of the region is a very marked feature, and because of this it has been difficult at times to decide which types have been responsible for the various stages of the metamorphism.


1985 ◽  
Vol 35 ◽  
pp. 93-97 ◽  
Author(s):  
Stephen Hill

The ruins at Yanıkhan form the remains of a Late Roman village in the interior of Rough Cilicia some 8 kilometres inland from the village of Limonlu on the road to Canbazlı (see Fig. 1). The site has not been frequently visited by scholars, and the first certain reference to its existence was made by the late Professor Michael Gough after his visit on 2 September 1959. Yanıkhan is now occupied only by the Yürüks who for years have wintered on the southern slopes of Sandal Dağ. The ancient settlement at Yanıkhan consisted of a village covering several acres. The remains are still extensive, and some, especially the North Basilica, are very well preserved, but there has been considerable disturbance in recent years as stone and rubble have been removed in order to create small arable clearings. The visible remains include many domestic buildings constructed both from polygonal masonry without mortar and from mortar and rubble with coursed smallstone facing. There are several underground cisterns and a range of olive presses. The countryside around the settlement has been terraced for agricultural purposes in antiquity, and is, like the settlement itself, densely covered with scrub oak and wild olive trees. The most impressive remains are those of the two basilical churches which are of little artistic pretension, but considerable architectural interest. The inscription which forms the substance of this article was found on the lintel block of the main west entrance of the South Basilica.


Sign in / Sign up

Export Citation Format

Share Document