Aim: To assess the profile of patients availing the marital and psychosexual clinic (MPC) services through the telemode at a tertiary care center after the imposition of lockdown and compare the same with the profile of the patients attending the outpatient services, in-person MPC services during the prelockdown period. Materials and Methods: It was a retrospective study in which comparisons were made between patients availing the MPC services from March 24, 2020 to March 23, 2021 with the profile of patients during the period of March 24, 2019 to March 23, 2020 (ie, COVID period—lockdown). Results: A total of 112 patients availed the MPC services during the COVID study period compared to 307 patients in the pre-COVID period. However, when the proportion of MPC cases among the total walk-ins was compared, during the COVID period the proportion of MPC cases increased by almost 1.75 times. During the COVID time period, there was an increase in the patients who were significantly younger ( P = .002), females ( P = .003), more from urban locality ( P = .035), and being referred by self or caregiver ( P = .001). In terms of specific diagnosis, as compared to the pre-COVID timeframe, significantly higher numbers of patients were diagnosed with premature ejaculation (PME) and PME + erectile dysfunction while the services were being provided through the telemode. Conclusion: The present study suggests an increase in the proportion of patients seeking help for marital and sexual issues while the services are being provided by telemode.
Background: Scald burns result from exposure to high-temperature fluids and are more common in the pediatric age group. They occur mainly by two mechanisms: (i) spill and (ii) immersion (hot cauldron) burns. These two patterns differ in clinical characteristics and outcomes. Scalds cause significant morbidity and mortality in children. The objective of this study was to compare accidental spill burns and hot cauldron burns in a hospital setting. Methods: An analytical cross-sectional study was conducted by reviewing the secondary data of scald cases admitted during the years 2019 and 2020 in a burn-dedicated tertiary care center. Total population sampling was adopted. Data analysis was done partly using SPSS, version-23, and Stata-15. Mann Whitney U-test and Chi-square/Fisher's exact test were done appropriately to find associations between different variables. Binary regression analysis was performed taking mortality events as the outcome of interest. Results: Out of 108 scald cases, 43 (39.8%) had hot cauldron burns and 65 (60.2%) had accidental spill burns. Overall mortality was 16 (14.8%), out of which hot cauldron burns and accidental spill burns comprised 12 (75.0%) and 4 (25.0%), respectively. Binary logistic regression analysis showed the type of scald, age, and Baux score found to be associated with mortality. Every one-year increment in age had a 29% lower odds of occurrence of mortality event (adjusted odds ratio [OR], 0.71; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.50-0.99, p=0.042). Likewise, every one-point increment in Baux score was associated with 19% higher odds of mortality (adjusted OR, 1.190; 95% CI, 1.08-1.32; p<0.001). Conclusions: Accidental spill burn was more common but mortality was significantly higher for hot cauldron burns. The risk of mortality was significantly higher in burn events occurring outside the house, and burns involving back, buttocks, perineum, and lower extremities.
Objective: To assess the survival rate, readmission rate, its causes, and outcomes among the preterm neonates that were discharged from the neonatal units of a tertiary care center of northern India. Methods: A retrospective study was conducted in neonatal units of a tertiary care center in northern India. Preterm neonates (<=35 weeks) were admitted in these neonatal units, and their parents were included as participants by total enumeration sampling between July–December 2018. The data was collected from the admission records for the last 6 months from neonatal intensive care unit and from the parents whose babies were discharged. The parents were telephonically interviewed regarding readmissions and mortality. The data relating to the sociodemographic profile of parents, clinical profile of preterm neonates, readmission profile of discharged preterm neonates, and risk predictors for readmission of preterm neonates was collected. Results: A total of 249 preterm neonates were admitted in 6 months. It was found that the survival rate was 197 (79.1%); the readmission rate was 23 (16.4%). Out of total readmitted, majority 22 (95.7) had low maternal education as risk predictor of readmissions, followed by habitats of rural area. Conclusion: Preterm neonates are at more risk for getting multiple readmissions as compared to other neonates. Thus, there is a need to find out the strategies to overcome the burden of readmissions.