Excavations at Farnham, Surrey (1937–38): The Horsham Culture and the Question of Mesolithic Dwellings

1939 ◽  
Vol 5 (1) ◽  
pp. 61-118 ◽  
Author(s):  
J. G. D. Clark ◽  
W. F. Rankine

The scene of the excavations described in the first part of this paper is the Sewage Farm of the Farnham (Surrey) Urban District Council, situated on the gravels of the old course of the Blackwater River to the north-east of the town at an elevation of c. 250 ft. O.D. (fig. 1). The surface of the gravel within the area investigated is level, but to the west it slopes upwards to Farnham Park. From here there issues the course of a stream, which, skirting the site on the south-west, turns south to join the Wey half a mile to the south. In recent years the Park stream has been captured near its source by a system of swallow-holes, and to-day its effective source is the spring which breaks out from the Chalk below the gravel spread in the immediate neighbourhood of the site. The Bourne Mill Spring, as it is usually known, has cut its way back an appreciable distance, having formed a small valley of its own, so that it can lay claim to a fair antiquity; indeed, there is every reason for regarding it as a main attraction of the site from Mesolithic times onwards (pl. VI). At the present day the spring retains its purity unaffected by the disposal of sewage and is still a well-known stopping place for tramps. For an account of the site written from a geological point of view the reader is referred to Appendix I, kindly supplied by Dr K. P. Oakley, F.G.S.

Africa ◽  
1977 ◽  
Vol 47 (1) ◽  
pp. 1-13 ◽  
Author(s):  
Fremont E. Besmer

IntroductionThe town of Ningi is located on the western edge of the North East State of Nigeria, about 25 km from the south-eastern corner of Kano State. Old Ningi town (about 50 km from the town's present site) was founded by a Kano Qur'anic teacher-scholar, Malam Hamza, and his followers in the middle of the nineteenth century. Malam Hamza is said to have fled Kano because of political and religious disputes with the Emir of Kano which resulted in a purge of the Malam class. Moving away from the centre of Kano power to the comparative safety of the Kabara hills and the non-Hausa people who lived in them, Malam Hamza was able to establish the separatism he and his followers desired. During this period the Kabara hills were the scene of slave-raiding and warfare, constantly threatened by the Hausa-Fulani emirates which surrounded them. Fighting from the hills, the people of Old Ningi, loosely allied with their neighbours, the Butawa, Warjawa, and others, were able to maintain their independence from Bauchi, Zaria, and Kano.


1934 ◽  
Vol 14 (4) ◽  
pp. 417-421 ◽  
Author(s):  
A. E. Preston

About 80 yds. to the north-east of an old house known as ‘Fitzharry's’ on the northern outskirts of the town of Abingdon is an early Norman moated mound in a good state of preservation. The mound is formed by the upcast of the encircling ditch and is covered with trees; it is roughly circular in shape, the axis from north to south measuring about 78 ft. and from west to east about 68 ft. At present the mound stands up about 10 ft. above the ordinary water-level. The moat is still (except in times of drought) filled with water supplied by an adjacent streamlet, an arm of which formerly appears to have entered the moat on the northern side. This entrance has since partly silted up but is plainly discernible. After flowing through the moat, the water rejoined the original stream at the south-east corner. The exit and the intake form at present only one channel. Originally there were separate channels. The mound and moat duly appear on the Ordnance Survey plans of 1875, and to the east is a tongue of land which may have served as a rudimentary bailey; in its present state it is roughly pear-shaped and much smaller than most of the known examples of the Norman bailey. On the further face of this tongue the streamlet surrounding it widens out considerably. Originally both the mound and the tongue were entirely enclosed by water, which, pursuing its course, descended through the town and fell into the Thames at Abingdon Bridge. On its way the streamlet served till recent times as a parish boundary.


1910 ◽  
Vol 7 (4) ◽  
pp. 159-171 ◽  
Author(s):  
Arthur R. Andrew

The town of Dolgelley lies slightly outside the main tract of gold-bearing country of Merionethshire, but it forms a convenient headquarters from which to visit the various gold-mines and auriferous lodes. The Dolgelley Gold-belt lies within the area covered by the quarter-sheets 27 N.E., 27 S.E., 32 S.E., 33 N.W., 33 N.E., 33 S.W., 36 N.W., 36 N.E. of the 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps of Merionethshire. It is on the north side of the estuary of the Mawddach, extending from the sea at Barmouth to the locality of Gwynfynydd on the north-east. The belt forms the south-eastern flank of a range of high ground sloping down to the south and south-east from the mountains of Rhinog, Diphwys, and Garn. It is drained by several tributaries of the Mawddach, of which the principal are the Afons Hirgwm, Cwm-llechen, Cwm-mynach, Wnion, Las, Gamlan, Eden, and Gain.


1963 ◽  
Vol 43 (1) ◽  
pp. 15-26 ◽  
Author(s):  
John S. Wacher

The excavations of 1962 were originally planned to take place on three sites: the Amphitheatre, which lies outside the town wall a little to the south-west; a rescue excavation in a derelict garden in Coxwell Street; and a section across the front of the south-east defences at a point about 200 feet west of Miss Rennie's section cut through them in 1952. A week after the start, news came that work for a new police station was to commence during the current financial year, on a site north of Dyer Court, which our Fellow Dr. Graham Webster investigated in 1957. With such short notice, rescue work had to begin here almost at once. Imminent development of yet another building-site, in Victoria Road, was reported towards the end of the excavations, which had to be extended for a fortnight to meet this fresh emergency. Five sites have thus been dealt with this year instead of three, an undertaking of considerable magnitude, and the Committee here records its most grateful thanks to each of those bodies who contributed towards the expenses; to all those who assisted the excavations; to the Gloucestershire County Council for permission to explore the police station site; to the Cirencester Urban District Council for permission to dig in Coxwell Street; to Lord Bathurst for permission to dig at the Amphitheatre; to Mr. Harry Pitts for permission to cut a section across the southern defences; and to Messrs. R. van Gelder, Keen and Co. Ltd.


1882 ◽  
Vol 11 ◽  
pp. 483-487
Author(s):  
Duns

An attempt is made in this paper, mainly from the point of view of the Society's “Boulder Committee,” to examine and classify the surface-deposits of a comparatively small compact area, which is bounded on the north and north-east by the river Spean, on the south and south-west by the river Nevis, on the west and northwest by the Lochy and the Caledonian Canal, and on the east and south-east by the Nevis range of Mountains. Reference is also made to the district between the Nevis and Loch Linnhe, including Auchintore and part of Glen Nevis. The body of the paper is limited to the statement of phenomena. It is felt, however, that the chief value of a record of facts is to lead to a definite knowledge of the forces which underlie them, and of the laws of which they are the expression.


1921 ◽  
Vol 58 (5) ◽  
pp. 215-225 ◽  
Author(s):  
J. S. Flett ◽  
H. H. Read

CAPPING many of the hill-tops of the Buchan district of Aberdeenshire there are extensive spreads of gravel containing pebbles of white quartzite and of flint. Their north-western limit is on the Delgaty estate, near Turrifi, where, at an elevation of 350–400 feet, there is a small patch of quartzite gravel a mile and a half to the north-east of the town. Nearly eight miles to the south, on Windyhills, two miles north-east of Fyvie, a more extensive outlier occurs. These two patches are shown in Fig. 1. The Windyhills spread is nearly a square mile in area, and it occupies the summit of a low flat-topped ridgo at an elevation of 370–400 feet. Like the Delgaty gravels, it is evidently the remains of a deposit formerly much more extensive and reduced greatly in area by denudation. It consists mainly of white quartzite pebbles, flint pebbles, and white clayey sand, and its resemblance to the Delgaty gravels is so close that no doubt has been entertained that they belong to the same period and formation.


2002 ◽  
Vol 92 ◽  
pp. 33-48
Author(s):  
Michael Koortbojian

In 214 b.c., the army of Ti. Sempronius Gracchus defeated Hannibal's Carthaginian forces near the town of Beneventum. Gracchus, proconsul with imperium in Apulia, had led his troops from Luceria in the North-East, while Hanno, Hannibal's lieutenant, arrived with his forces from Bruttium in the South, and a pitched battle was fought by the river Calor. The Romans were victorious. According to Livy, the Carthaginian force of more than 18,000 was routed, less than 2,000 survived, and 38 standards were taken; but the truly striking fact about Gracchus' victory is that his army was largely comprised of slaves. This had been necessary, in contradiction of Roman law and custom, following the tragic and massive casualties suffered in the previous years' battles, most famously at Cannae. Exceptional circumstances called for exceptional measures: pueri donned men's armour; libertini were called to serve; criminals, too; then slaves, who were purchased to fight for the state. The status of such troops posed a significant problem, both legally as well as socially, a problem that was to have a long history.


2020 ◽  
Vol 8 (2) ◽  
pp. 13
Author(s):  
Ankita Pandey

Guwahati derives its name from the Assamese word “Guwa” means areca nut and “Haat” means market. However, the modern Guwahati had been known as the ancient Pragjyotishpura and was the capital of Assam under the Kamrupa kingdom. A beautiful city Guwahati is situated on the south bank of the river Bramhaputra. Moreover, It is known as the largest city in the Indian state of Assam and also the largest metropolis in North East India. It has also its importance as the gateway to the North- East India. Assamese and English are the spoken languages in Guwahati.  In 1667, the Mogul forces were defeated in the battle by the Ahom forces commanded by Lachut Barphukan. Thus, in a sense Guwahati became the bone of contention among the Ahoms, Kochas and the Moguls during the medieval period.  Guwahati the administrative headquarters of Lower Assam with a viceroy or Barbhukan was made by the Ahom king.  Since 1972 it has been the capital of Assam. The present paper will discuss the changes happened in Guwahati over the period of late 1970s till the present time. It will focus on the behavior of people, transformed temples, Panbazar of the city, river bank of Bramhaputra, old Fancy Bazaar, chaotic ways, festivals and seasons including a fifth man made season etc. It will also deal how over the years a city endowed with nature’s gifts and scenic views, has been changing as “a dirty city”. Furthermore, it will also present the insurgencies that have barged into the city. The occurrence of changes will be discussed through the perspective and point of view of Srutimala Duara as presented in her book Mindprints of Guwahati.


Author(s):  
Feiko Kalsbeek ◽  
Lilian Skjernaa

NOTE: This article was published in a former series of GEUS Bulletin. Please use the original series name when citing this article, for example: Kalsbeek, F., & Skjernaa, L. (1999). The Archaean Atâ intrusive complex (Atâ tonalite), north-east Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Geology of Greenland Survey Bulletin, 181, 103-112. https://doi.org/10.34194/ggub.v181.5118 _______________ The 2800 Ma Atâ intrusive complex (elsewhere referred to as ‘Atâ granite’ or ‘Atâ tonalite’), which occupies an area of c. 400 km2 in the area north-east of Disko Bugt, was emplaced into grey migmatitic gneisses and supracrustal rocks. At its southern border the Atâ complex is cut by younger granites. The complex is divided by a belt of supracrustal rocks into a western, mainly tonalitic part, and an eastern part consisting mainly of granodiorite and trondhjemite. The ‘eastern complex’ is a classical pluton. It is little deformed in its central part, displaying well-preserved igneous layering and local orbicular textures. Near its intrusive contact with the overlying supracrustal rocks the rocks become foliated, with foliation parallel to the contact. The Atâ intrusive complex has escaped much of the later Archaean and early Proterozoic deformation and metamorphism that characterises the gneisses to the north and to the south; it belongs to the best-preserved Archaean tonalite-trondhjemite-granodiorite intrusions in Greenland.


1932 ◽  
Vol 69 (5) ◽  
pp. 209-233 ◽  
Author(s):  
G. D. Osborne

THE Carlingford-Barnave district falls within the boundaries of Sheet 71 of the Ordnance Survey of Ireland, and forms part of a broad promontory lying between Carlingford Lough on the north-east and Dundalk Bay on the south-west. The greater part of this promontory is made up of an igneous complex of Tertiary age which has invaded the Silurian slates and quartzites and the Carboniferous Limestone Series. This complex has not yet been investigated in detail, but for the purposes of the present paper certain references to it are necessary, and these are made below. The prevalence of hybrid-relations and contamination-effects between the basic and acid igneous rocks of the region is a very marked feature, and because of this it has been difficult at times to decide which types have been responsible for the various stages of the metamorphism.


Sign in / Sign up

Export Citation Format

Share Document